800 E 3rd St
Charlotte, NC 28202
Marshall Park was named for James B. Marshall, Sr., City Manager of Charlotte from 1935 to 1940. Marshall's office in City Hall overlooked this land and he is said to have long envisioned the park.
Marshall Park occupies part of Second Ward, also called Brooklyn, Charlotte's largest African American neighborhood during the first two-thirds of the twentieth century. City officials used federal "urban renewal" funds to demolish Brooklyn during the 1960s. Bulldozers cleared almost 1,500 structures, including 200 businesses and a dozen churches. The City sold part of the acreage to private developers and to an historically white church, keeping a portion to create the Government Center and Marshall Park. Mayor John Belk dedicated the park on June 2, 1973.
- Cloud Bar by David Burke555 S McDowell St (678 feet S)
- QTavern201 S McDowell St (768 feet E)
- Showmars600 E 4th St (804 feet NW)
- Cloud Bar by David Burke555 S McDowell St (872 feet S)
- Uptown Farmer's Market300 S Davidson St (0.2 miles NW)
- Whole Foods Market400 E Brooklyn Village Ave (0.4 miles W)
- Hornets Fan Shop333 E Trade St (0.4 miles N)
- Charlotte Hornets Fan Shop333 E Trade St (0.4 miles N)
- NASCAR Hall of Fame400 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd (0.3 miles NW)
- Know Your Farms CSA201 N McDowell St (0.3 miles NE)
- Children's Theatre of Charlotte300 E 7th St (0.6 miles N)
- ImaginOn: The Joe & Joan Martin Center300 E 7th St (0.6 miles N)