60 Things To Do In Uptown This Summer
Mark these Uptown experiences off your list before summer ends.
Schools out, suns out and Uptown is beckoning you to come play. There’s something magical about the summer season in Uptown Charlotte. Lush greenery greets you at every corner and shiny skyscrapers provide shade from the sunny Carolina skies. The city’s bustling with excitement but also has the perfect spots to relax, refresh or refuel. Make this summer the best yet with adventures in Uptown all season long.
- Experience open-air dining and drinks on an Uptown rooftop or patio.
- Stock up on local produce and products at the Uptown Farmers Market every Saturday.
- Sip on a pint of local craft beer at D9 Brewing, Uptown’s only brewery.
- Cool down with ice cream from Golden Cow Creamery.
- Get a cold brew coffee from Not Just Coffee, Waterbean Coffee or Queen City Grounds.
- Build a picnic with snacks from Rhino Market & Deli and enjoy it on the lawn of Romare Bearden Park.
- Create a sampler platter with items from various vendors at The Market at 7th Street, North Carolina’s first urban food hall.
- Grab an organic smoothie or cold-pressed juice from Clean Juice.
- Get the Dish of Fish or Tower of Power from the raw bar at Fin and Fino.
- Enjoy an afternoon snack from Tiff’s Treats or Day & Night Exotic Cereal Bar.
Culture & Community
- Visit the Mint Museum Uptown, Bechtler Museum of Modern Art and the Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts+Culture for free during Wednesday Night Live.
- Explore Uptown’s newest artist community at the Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Center.
- Meet artists-in-residence and see their work at McColl Center.
- See murals and public art throughout Uptown on a self-guided ArtWalk.
- Discover the stories behind Uptown’s coolest murals with Uptown Interactive, where you can scan a QR code to watch a video of the artist, generate face filters and explore a 3-D model of the piece.
- See a Broadway musical at Belk Theater at Blumenthal Performing Arts.
- Enjoy small bites, cocktails and live jazz music at Middle C Jazz.
- Pop into ImaginOn: The Joe & Joan Martin Center for storytime for the little ones or trivia for the teens in The Loft. Or see one of the summer performances at the adjoining Children’s Theatre of Charlotte.
- Explore the alien world living beneath the surface of the ocean at Discovery Place Science’s limited-time special exhibit “Unseen Oceans.”
Fitness & Outdoors
- Attend a drop-in adult ballet class offered by Charlotte Ballet on a Monday evening.
- Try high-flying fitness in an aerial silks, trapeze or lyra class at Aerial CLT.
- Perfect your poses at Yoga at the Mint or Yoga on the Rooftop at the Gantt Center.
- Cheer on Charlotte’s professional soccer teams at an MLS Charlotte FC match at Bank of America Stadium or a USL Charlotte Independence game at American Legion Memorial Stadium.
- Root for the home team at a AAA Charlotte Knights game at Truist Field.
- Explore Uptown’s quirky, quaint and expansive parks and green spaces.
- Take the kids to cool off at Ray’s Splash Planet, in the waterfall at Romare Bearden Park or at the Fish Fountains sprayground at The Green.
- Take a HIIT class at Hustle House. Stay after to get your results from the high-tech 3-D Body Scanner.
- Go running or walking along the Irwin Creek Greenway and then take a break at Frazier Park, which features a dog park, athletic fields, a playground and community spaces.
- Feel the wind in your hair as you ride around Uptown on an e-assist bike from Charlotte Joy Rides.
- Grab dinner and then go bar hopping at nightlife spots in the 5th Street District.
- Enjoy live music, local craft beer (from the Resident Culture popup bar) and other fun entertainment at an event at Victoria Yards.
- Dance the night away at one of Uptown’s hottest nightclubs like Brooklyn Nightclub & Lounge, QC Social Lounge and Hive Nightclub.
- Go to a nationally touring concert at Spectrum Center or Bank of America Stadium.
- Grab a seat on the lawn at Charlotte Metro Credit Union Amphitheatre and enjoy the outdoor concert with skyline views.
- Experience one of Uptown’s Speakeasy-style bars like The Cellar at Duckworth’s and The Cotton Room.
- Get cocktails and your favorite flavored hookahs at Crave Dessert Bar, Taboo Lounge & Hookah or Babylon Hookah.
- Grab dinner and drinks under the lights at a restaurant or bar the hidden-away Brevard Court, like French Quarter, Valhalla Pub & Eatery, Nefelie’s, Queen City Bites & Crafts and Belfast Mill.
Shopping & Self-Care
- Peruse the stores located in Overstreet Mall, an indoor skywalk system that connects office buildings, restaurants, shops, hotels and parking garages across Uptown.
- Get local gifts at CLT Find inside the The Market at 7th Street.
- Find Charlotte-centric products and souvenirs at the WelcomeCLT Uptown Visitor Info Center.
- Stock up on sports gear at the Carolina Panthers and Charlotte FC Team Store, Charlotte Hornets Fan Shop, the Charlotte Knights Armor Shoppe and the NASCAR Hall of Fame Gear Shop.
- Shop small at pop-up boutiques during special events in Uptown.
- Get your nails done at The Daily Details, Artisan Nail Studio, J’Adore Nail Boutique, The Nail Lounge or Dry Nail Bar.
- Experience the process of finding the perfect fit with custom, luxury men’s clothing at Abbeydale or Nyoni Couture.
- Get the perfect summer cut at Sage Salon Studio, New Creative Salon, Versa Salon or Volume Salon for the ladies and Emerson Joseph, City Barbers or No Grease! for the guys.
- Treat yourself with a full-day, full-service spa experience at The Ritz-Carlton spa.
Heritage & History
- Discover the history and heroes of NASCAR and then try your hand at the racing simulators and pit crew challenge at the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
- Step back in history on the Charlotte Liberty Walk, where 19 historic sites tell the story of the city’s involvement in the American Revolution.
- Learn the fascinating history of Uptown Charlotte on a guided bike, walking or Segway tour with Charlotte NC Tours.
- Get acquainted with the charming Fourth Ward district on the self-guided Fourth Ward Historic District Walking Tour, which covers the history and architecture of the area.
- Get a different perspective of Charlotte’s history on a Funny Bus Comedy City Tour, a BYOB tour led by comedians.
- Get tickets for Charlotte Squawks at Booth Playhouse June 9-26. The Saturday Night-style stage performance all about Charlotte will have you laughing for days.
- Sample craft beer from breweries across the country at the Untappd Beer Festival at American Legion Memorial Stadium on June 18.
- Participate in Make Music Day, a full day where free, live music would be everywhere: street corners and parks, rooftops and gardens, store fronts and more!
- Experience classical music with a twist with the Charlotte Symphony performing Celebrate America! at Truist Field on June 22 and The Music of the Rolling Stones at Belk Theater on July 2.
- See fan-favorite monster trucks go head-to-head in competitions of speed and skill at Monster Jam at Spectrum Center July 16 & 17.
- Get a taste of restaurants you haven’t tried yet during Queen’s Feast: Charlotte Restaurant Week July 22-31.
- Celebrate America at the largest fireworks show in the Southeast at the WBT SkyShow at Truist Field on July 4.
- Kick off football season at the free, family-friendly Carolina Panthers Fan Fest at Bank of America Stadium on Aug. 6.
- Dress in your best rainbow outfit to celebrate and support the LGBTQ community at the Charlotte Pride Festival & Parade, one of the largest and most unique LGBTW celebrations in the Southeast, taking place Aug. 20-21.
- Take part in the 100th anniversary of one of North Carolina’s oldest HBCU football rivalries between North Carolina A&T State University and North Carolina Centra Central at the Duke’s Mayo Classic at Bank of America Stadium on Sept. 3.
Start working your way through the list and share your adventures with us on social media by tagging @uptown.clt on Instagram and using the hashtag #uptownclt. And don't forget to check the Uptown Event Calendar for more Uptown happenings!